Kindness is a trait that can manifest itself in numerous manners.
What is kindness? Performing a small gesture of kindness, such as allowing a pregnant woman or someone with a small child to sit down on a crowded transport or holding the door open or assisting someone with carrying their groceries.
Acts of kindness can be more complex or more profound, such as lending assistance at a local soup kitchen or making substantial contributions to a charity that you regularly support.
In addition to displaying charity, an act of kindness frequently involves empathy. Empathy is the ability to share and comprehend another person’s emotions. It also enables us to better understand their experiences.
What is kindness really and what are the benefits of being kind.
1. Better relationships: Being kind towards one another can strengthen the bond between friends and family.
We build strong relationships and foster meaningful connections within our social circles by engaging in acts of kindness. These lasting bonds can greatly influence our journey and experiences as time passes.
3. Increased happiness: Several research studies conducted over an extended period have consistently indicated that people who frequently practice acts of kindness are more inclined to experience heightened levels of happiness and fulfilment while also displaying fewer indicators linked with depression.   
4. Increased empathy: Consistently engaging in acts of kindness can aid individuals in fostering a heightened sense of empathy. By actively cultivating empathy, people become more adept at comprehending and appreciating the emotions, sentiments, and unique life journeys of others.
5. Improved work performance: Exhibiting kindness can exert a profound influence on team dynamics by creating an environment that fosters stronger collaboration and cooperation among staff members. This bond collectively propels the team towards achieving success.
Kindness plays a crucial role in not only promoting harmony but also increasing job satisfaction among employees. When individuals are recognised and respected for their efforts, they tend to experience greater happiness and contentment in their respective positions.
Consequently, this sense of satisfaction often translates into increased productivity throughout the entire company or organisation.
6. Greater sense of community: Engaging in acts of kindness can foster a sense of community and belonging, thus promoting our overall well-being.
7. Reduced stress levels: Research studies have convincingly demonstrated the positive impact of kindness on cortisol levels, a hormone intricately linked to stress management.
8. Increased lifespan: Numerous studies have indicated that individuals who engage in volunteer work and consistently show acts of kindness tend to enjoy a longer lifespan compared to those who do not participate in such activities. .
Ways to Practice Kindness
1. Random acts of kindness
Engaging in this act is undeniably among the simplest methods to promote kindness. It does not require any extraordinary or costly actions on your part. Just being kind will do!
Random acts of kindness can be simple:
- holding the door open for a total stranger
- paying for someone’s tea or coffee in line behind you
- or leaving a kind note for someone to find.
2. Expressing gratitude
It is often simple to overlook the blessings in our lives and fail to acknowledge how fortunate we truly are. Nonetheless, when we make an effort to take a step back from our bustling routines and contemplate the things, we are grateful for. – the impact can be profound. This practice has the power to enhance not only our own self-worth and contentment but also positively influence those around us.
3. Be a good listener
When individuals choose to confide in you, whether it is about themselves or others – it exemplifies the level of trust they have bestowed upon you. It indicates their sense of ease in divulging their emotions or past encounters. Responding by listening attentively and without interrupting or passing judgment is essential. By demonstrating respect towards others, you show that you value them and their contributions. This action helps to establish trust between both individuals involved.
It is of utmost importance to demonstrate respect and grant your complete focus when engaged in conversation with another individual. Also, it is vital to refrain from casting any judgments while actively listening. Engaging in active listening can significantly help people who require a listening ear.
Please find a local organisation that aligns with your interests and donate your time and skills to help them.
Demonstrating your compassion towards people in need can be accomplished through the selfless act of contributing financially to charitable organisations or by diligently providing essential items for locally operating shelters and food banks. These noble actions not only extend much-needed help to individuals facing challenges but also positively impact your community.
6. Compliment people
Take a moment to genuinely compliment a friend, family or someone on something they have accomplished or something you admire about them.
7. Practice empathy
Understanding the perspective of others is of great importance. By taking into account their background and showing empathy towards them, we significantly contribute to fostering a more compassionate and kind nature.
Engaging in acts of kindness effectively fosters such qualities within yourself, promoting a positive and respectful approach towards others.
Kindness is a powerful and splendid tool that can transform our lives, other people and those around us.
Do not underestimate the power embedded within seemingly inconsequential acts of compassion; their influence is immeasurable. Kindness offers countless benefits ranging from promoting our mental and physical health to strengthening the connections we have with others.
Let us make a deliberate choice to treat ourselves and others with kindness. And to promote acts of kindness everywhere, we go.
It is essential to always bear in mind that a straightforward gesture of kindness possesses the capacity to initiate a ripple effect that has the ability to genuinely alter the world.
Watch the Video Summary
 David R. Cregg & Jennifer S. Cheavens (2022) Healing through helping: an experimental investigation of kindness, social activities, and reappraisal as well-being interventions, The Journal of Positive Psychology, DOI: 10.1080/17439760.2022.2154695
 Ohio State University. (2023, January 10). Feeling depressed? Performing acts of kindness may help: Study finds helping others reduces focus on your own symptoms. ScienceDaily. Retrieved July 12, 2023 from www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/01/230110103424.htm
 Nelson, S. K., Layous, K., Cole, S. W., & Lyubomirsky, S. (2016). Do unto others or treat yourself? The effects of prosocial and self-focused behavior on psychological flourishing. Emotion (Washington, D.C.), 16(6), 850–861. https://doi.org/10.1037/emo0000178
 Apa.org. (2021). Available at: https://www.apa.org/monitor/2011/11/volunteering.
Photo by Eren Li: https://www.pexels.com/photo/photo-of-man-holding-on-woman-s-arm-7188804/
Photo by Anna Shvets: https://www.pexels.com/photo/women-hugging-on-beach-3727565/
Photo by Eva Bronzini: https://www.pexels.com/photo/text-on-a-white-surface-5941507/